SHOULD I COLON CLEANSE ?
Colon cleansing is a popular procedure among people who suffer from various digestive health problems like constipation, heartburn, gas trouble etc. But, it is still not considered completely safe. Although doctors prescribe colon cleansing as a preparation for medical procedures like colonoscopy, most doesn’t recommend colon cleansing as a solution for detoxification.
Their reasoning is simple: the human body naturally removes the waste materials and bacteria, and it doesn’t need colon cleansing to get it done. The digestive system and bowels mainly helps in this cleansing process. In fact, colon cleansing can sometimes be harmful to our body. There are many concerns with colon cleansing. Some of them are;
- Increase the risk of dehydration and salt depletion
- Cause a rise in the electrolytes, which can be deadly if you have any kidney problem or heart disease
- Nausea and vomiting
- Gastrointestinal perforations due to improper insertion
- Heart problems including abnormal heart beats and even death
- Increase the risk of infection
- Fluid may enter the lungs
- Worsening any existing hemorrhoids
- Creates puncture wound in the rectum
- Amoebic infection from poorly sterilized equipments
- Repeated cleansing process may result in anemia or malnutrition
- Excessive use of enemas may result in serious cardiac problems like heart failure or heart attack
- Frequent use of colon cleansers may lead to dependence and an inability to defecate without the help of someone.
- The herbs consumed for colon cleansing may interfere with drug absorption and effectiveness of other prescribed drugs
Advocates of colon cleansing, on the other hand, believe that the toxins and wastes from your gastrointestinal tracts causes a variety of health problems, such as allergy, arthritis, fatigue, asthma etc. They believe that colon cleansing otherwise called colonic irrigation, improves health by removing toxins and thereby boosting your general health and enhancing your immune system. Some people who practice alternative medicine suggest colon cleansing as a cure to many diseases and to prevent cancer. They believe that a bowel, not working properly causes many problems and they recommend colon cleansing to correct them. There are no scientific evidences to date, to support this claim and there is no evidence to prove that colon cleansing cures various health problems, prevents cancer, removes toxins or boosts the immune system. In fact, colon cleansing is highly harmful and will lead to various health problems and sometimes even death.
Is colon cleansing necessary?
Our body has the ability to naturally eliminate the wastes and toxins. The body carefully controls the balance of water and electrolytes in the blood and tissues. Colon cleansing can disrupt this balance. It may also disrupt the balance between bacteria and natural chemicals in the bowels.
Is colon cleansing the only way to clear your colon or is it likely your colon doesn’t need this kind of help? Let’s see some functions of our body associated with the colon;
- The colon sheds old cells about every three days. This process helps in preventing the buildup of harmful materials inside the colon
- Natural bacteria inside the colon have the ability to detoxify food wastes
- Liver plays the major role in the detoxification of food wastes
- Mucus membranes in the colon prevents the unwanted substances from reentering into the blood and tissues
- Increasing the number of bowel movements doesn’t enhance weight loss
Another concern regarding colon cleansing is that, this procedure is not properly monitored or regulated by the government. Most of the practitioners in this field are also not properly trained or knowledgeable, which increases the risk.
If you do decide to see a colon cleansing therapist, choose someone who is licensed by a recognized national organization and who follows that organizations standard. But, it will be better to seek the opinion from your primary health provider before going for this new procedure.
In my opinion, if you want to remove the toxins and wastes from your body, it will be better to improve your dietary habits.
Please click here to see some of the recommended Colon cleansing guides and ebooks.